NYSEG AND RG&E ROLL OUT REBATE PROGRAM
FOR RESIDENTIAL HIGH-EFFICIENCY NATURAL GAS EQUIPMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rochester, NY, June 1, 2009 – NYSEG and RG&E residential natural gas customers who install qualifying natural gas equipment and related control equipment on or after July 1, 2009 may be eligible for rebates.
“High-efficiency natural gas equipment will help customers reduce their energy costs for years to come and the rebates will help offset the somewhat higher initial cost of this equipment,” said Jim Laurito, president and CEO of NYSEG and RG&E. “And let’s not forget the environmental benefit of high-efficiency equipment: while natural gas is the cleanest of all of the fossil fuels, the less energy we use, the better it is for the environment.”
The following rebates are being offered to eligible customers who have qualifying equipment installed:
- High-efficiency natural gas furnace (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency 90% or greater): $200
- High-efficiency natural gas furnace (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency 92% or greater) with an electronically-controlled motor: $400
- High-efficiency natural gas furnace (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency 94% or greater) with an electronically-controlled motor: $600
- High-efficiency natural gas water boiler (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency 85% or greater): $500
- High-efficiency natural gas water boiler (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency 90% or greater): $1,000
- High-efficiency natural gas steam boiler (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency 82% or greater): $500
- Boiler reset control: $100 (Installed by a contractor at the time of a qualifying boiler.)
- Indirect water heater: $300 (Installed by a contractor at the time of a qualifying furnace or boiler installation. An indirect water heater uses the main furnace or boiler to heat a fluid that is circulated through a heat exchanger in a water storage tank.)
- ENERGY STAR® programmable thermostats: $25 (Installed by a contractor at the time of a qualifying furnace or boiler installation. Limit two.)
- Duct sealing: $600 (More information will be available at a later date.)
Rebate applications as well as information about customer and equipment eligibility, the terms and conditions of the program, and answers to frequently asked questions are available at nyseg.com and rge.com. Information and rebate applications will also be available from plumbing and heating contractors and at NYSEG and RG&E customer service centers. Additional information is also available by calling 1.800.995.9525.
All eligible products must be installed by a licensed contractor or a contractor that can provide either a Federal ID number, a Certificate of Insurance or a Business Certificate. Do-it-yourself installations are not eligible for rebates.
The rebates are being offered in accordance with an April 9, 2009 Public Service Commission order approving Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard natural gas efficiency programs for utilities across the state.
Rebate recipients will have the opportunity to donate a portion of rebates to Project SHARE, NYSEG’s emergency energy assistance fund, or the Red Cross/RG&E Heating Fund, RG&E’s emergency energy assistance fund. Both funds are administered by the American Red Cross.
About NYSEG and RG&E: NYSEG and RG&E are subsidiaries of Energy East Corporation, a super-regional energy services and delivery company in the Northeast. NYSEG serves 872,000 electricity customers and 256,000 natural gas customers across more than 40% of upstate New York. RG&E serves 360,000 electricity customers and 297,000 natural gas customers in a nine-county region centered on the City of Rochester. By providing outstanding customer service and meeting customers’ energy requirements in an environmentally-responsible manner, NYSEG and RG&E will continue to be valuable assets to the communities they serve. For more information, visit nyseg.com and rge.com.