December 22, 2012 – 9 p.m.
> Safety Reminders
• Stay away from downed power lines – even lines that appear “dead” can be deadly.
• Emergency generators can be dangerous. Carefully read, understand and follow manufacturer’s instructions when operating an emergency generator. Never run emergency generators indoors; operate them only outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from windows and doors, and never in a garage.
• For electricity emergencies and to report power interruptions, NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131.
• For natural gas emergencies and to report suspected natural gas odors, NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1121. (If you smell natural gas, get up, get out and contact your natural gas utility from a neighbor’s phone.)
> Dry ice will be available today (Saturday, December 22) and tomorrow (Sunday, December 23) at the Averill Park Fire Station, 35 Eastern Union Turnpike, Averill Park and the Hoags Corners Firehouse, 7237 State Route 66, East Nassau (Rensselaer County).
NYSEG Continues to Make Progress in Restoring Service
Approximately 2,600 Outages in Mechanicville Division
Mechanicville, NY – NYSEG, a subsidiary of Iberdrola USA, continues to make progress in repairing its electricity delivery system and restoring power in the Mechanicville Division as a result of heavy winds and rain that tore through the area yesterday. The Mechanicville Division includes portions of Columbia, Rensselaer, Saratoga and Washington counties.
Barring additional severe weather conditions that could cause more damage, the company expects to restore service to the majority of customers by 11 p.m. tonight. Remaining customers are expected to have service restored by Sunday night.
“Despite continuing winds, NYSEG has made headway in the restoration process. Crews will work through the night to restore power safely and as quickly as possible,” said Mark Leta, regional operations manager. “We appreciate our customers’ patience as we continue our efforts.”
- Current Power Interruption Counts (as of 8:45 p.m.)
Columbia County 326
Rensselaer County 1,430
Washington County 886
For more details and the latest outage numbers, visit: http://www.nyseg.com/Outages/outageinformation.html
Restoration Times for Each Outage
As damage assessment is completed and estimated restoration times are established for each outage, they can be found at:
http://ebiz1.nyseg.com/cusweb/outagenotification.aspx or 1.800.572.1131
Additional Safety Reminders
- Stay out of flooded basements because energized wiring or outlets below the water line may pose a hazard. Natural gas service in a flooded basement may also pose a danger. If a basement or home is in danger of flooding, customers should contact their utilities to turn off electricity and/or natural gas service.
- For natural gas emergencies and to report suspected natural gas odors, NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1121. (If you smell natural gas, get up, get out and contact your natural gas utility from a neighbor’s phone.)