SafeGuard Lighting Underground Wiring Requirements
For over 100 years, NYSEG has been working to ensure quality, highly efficient outdoor lighting. Our SafeGuard Lighting program provides: the dusk-to-dawn coverage needed
for homes and businesses in our service area to be visible at night; and a variety of lighting fixture options. Please click here to contact one of our representatives to request an appointment with a NYSEG representative to discuss any questions you may have about the underground wiring requirements or how our SafeGuard Lighting program might best meet your needs.
Lighting System Underground Wiring Requirements
- Installations must be done in accordance with NYSEG specifications and local codes
and ordinances, including a UL inspection (NYSEG reserves the right to refuse
service to any part of a developer/customer-owned facility that does not meet general
- Developer and/or customer is responsible for:
- Installing and maintaining the underground wiring, cable and conduit facilities dedicated to serving the underground lighting system - ensuring proper wiring
size and type.
- Applying sequential numbers to developer/customer-owned poles.
- Providing NYSEG with an approved subdivision diagram which includes the location of each sequentially-numbered pole.
- Wiring Installation:
- Wiring must be installed to within two (2) feet of the transformer or handhole,
leaving a minimum of six (6) feet of wiring exposed with the leads appropriately marked (positive, negative and ground).
- If developer/customer owned poles, wiring must be run up from the base of the pole, leaving a minimum of two (2) feet exposed at the top of the pole, with the leads appropriately marked (positive, negative and ground).
- If NYSEG owned poles, please contact NYSEG prior to installation to discuss wiring requirements.
- Energizing or de-energizing any part of the underground system will be NYSEG’s responsibility and performed only by NYSEG.
Two Common Subdivision Luminaries Offered By NYSEG
Colonial Post Top – Low mounting on 3” diameter fiberglass black pole.
>> High Pressure Sodium
|| 5,200 Lumens|
|| 8,500 Lumens|
Shoe Box – High mounting on bronze square aluminum pole.
>> High Pressure Sodium
>> Metal Halide
|| 14,000 Lumens|
|| 24,700 Lumens|
|| 45,000 Lumens|
|| 16,000 Lumens|
|| 28,000 Lumens|
|| 88,000 Lumens|
Overhead, SafeGuard Lighting alternatives are also available.