New York State Public Service Commission Case 13-T-0235
In May 2013, NYSEG and Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation (d/b/a National Grid) filed a joint application with the New York State Public Service Commission for a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need under Article VII of Public Service Law for the Auburn Transmission Project. In November 2013, NYSEG and National Grid filed a supplement to this application.
The application, as filed in May 2013, proposed the construction of a new 115- kilovolt (kV) electric transmission line over a distance of approximately 14.5 miles from the City of Auburn to the Town of Elbridge. The supplement added three elements to the application:
- The relocation and reconductoring of a portion of National Grid’s existing 115-kV Geneva-to-Elbridge #15 transmission line.
- The busing together of two existing 115-kV electric transmission lines over approximately 10.3 miles from the Town of Throop to the Town of Elbridge.
- The rebuilding of an existing 115-kV electric transmission line over 4.2 miles within the City of Auburn and the Town of Throop.
Currently, service to customers in NYSEG’s Auburn Division is dependent on at least one of the two generating units at the Cayuga Generating Facility in the Town of Lansing being available to operate. This dependency exists only because of limitations on transmission to the area. The proposed line is necessary to eliminate these transmission limitations and enable NYSEG to maintain adequate service throughout the company’s Auburn Division during extended outages (planned or forced) of a single unit at the Cayuga Generating Facility.
The relocated line, line busing and rebuilt line are needed to:
- Increase transfer capacity between NYSEG’s State Street Substation and National Grid’s Elbridge Substation.
- Provide an alternate source of supply to the City of Auburn and the surrounding area in the event of a loss of the proposed line.
- Minimize outage time during construction activities.
Click the links below to view:
Copies of the Article VII filing are also available for public inspection during normal business hours at the:
- Elbridge Free Library, 241 East Main Street, Elbridge
- Jordan Bramley Library, 15 Mechanic Street, Jordan
- Port Byron Library, 12 Sponable Drive, Port Byron
- Seymour Library, 167-178 Genesee Street, Auburn
- Weedsport Free Library, 2795 E. Brutus Street, Weedsport
- Department of Public Service, Office of Central Files, 14th Floor, Three Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12223