NYSEG and RG&E Remind Customers of Three Ways to Stay Safe This Winter
– As the icy grip of winter continues, NYSEG and RG&E offer customers the following safety reminders.
• When removing snow and ice from driveways and sidewalks, be sure not to bury electricity and natural gas meters, exposed natural gas pipes and other electricity and natural gas equipment. And when removing snow or ice from a roof, never let it fall on meters and other utility equipment. Snow and ice can damage this equipment, creating potentially dangerous situations.
• Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that is a product of incomplete combustion as a result of a faulty chimney, flue or vent from a heating appliance or water heater or equipment that is damaged. Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure can lead to serious illness and even death. To prevent CO:
• Have heating systems, chimneys, flues and vents checked once a year by a professional.
• Keep flues and vents free of snow and ice.
• Use CO detectors.
• NYSEG and RG&E add an odorant that smells like rotten eggs to natural gas to make its presence readily apparent in the event of a leak. Customers who suspect a natural gas leak should get up, get out and call their natural gas utility or 911 from another location. We will respond immediately.
>> To report a natural gas emergency or suspected carbon monoxide problem to NYSEG: 1.800.572.1121 or call 911.
>> To report a natural gas emergency or suspected carbon monoxide problem to RG&E: 1.800.743.1702 or call 911.
About NYSEG and RG&E: NYSEG and RG&E are subsidiaries of Iberdrola USA. NYSEG serves 873,000 electricity customers and 259,000 natural gas customers across more than 40% of upstate New York. RG&E serves 362,000 electricity customers and 299,000 natural gas customers in a nine-county region centered on the City of Rochester. Providing outstanding customer service and meeting our customers’ energy requirements in an environmentally-responsible manner, NYSEG and RG&E are valuable assets to the communities we serve. For more information, visit www.nyseg.com and www.rge.com.
About Iberdrola USA: Iberdrola USA, a subsidiary of global energy leader Iberdrola, S.A., is an energy services and delivery company serving more than 2.4 million customers in upstate New York and New England. For more information about Iberdrola USA, visit www.iberdrolausa.com.