NYSEG Urges Customers to Put Safety First as Snow Piles Up in Western New York
– NYSEG, a subsidiary of Iberdrola USA, urges customers to be safe as lake effect snow continues to pile up across Western New York. Please keep the following information in mind:
• When removing snow and ice from driveways and sidewalks, make sure you stay clear of electric and natural gas meters to avoid damaging them, inadvertently disrupting service or putting yourself in danger. Snow and ice can damage electric and natural gas meters, natural gas pipes and natural gas regulators, so never bury any of this equipment when shoveling, using a snowblower or plowing.
• When removing snow or ice from a roof, never let it fall on electric or natural gas meters or related equipment.
• Natural gas appliance chimneys and vents should be kept free of snow and ice to prevent the build-up of potentially-deadly carbon monoxide.
• Be prepared if you smell natural gas. If you smell that distinctive sulfur-like odor – like the smell of rotten eggs – get up, get out and call NYSEG immediately from a neighbor’s phone.
>> NYSEG natural gas customers who need to report a natural gas emergency or suspect a carbon monoxide problem, should call 1.800.572.1121 or 911.