Understanding your usage
We offer tools, powered by your smart meter, to help you better understand your electricity use. These tools are FREE.
Energy Manager is our free and secure on-line tool that works with your smart meter so you can track your energy usage online, hour-by-hour, day-by-day. With Energy Manager, you can create a checklist of ways to save and get helpful tips for managing your electricity use. Other innovative features include:
- View weather data along with usage information
- Match usage to your billing statement
- See a breakdown of your usage by category
Enroll in Energy Manager and you will be able to access your electricity usage on-line by tomorrow evening - and save!
Billing costs and usage displayed in Energy Manager will match your bill's delivery and supply costs. Costs in Energy Manager do not reflect taxes or fees. In the current billing period for which you have not yet received a bill, Energy Manager shows costs that use your actual usage, and the cost is calculated using standard rates for delivery and standard offer pricing for supply.
Download My Data provides data that includes notations about estimated or missing data. If no interval data is available in Download My Data then you will see a note that the data is missing. Energy Manager fills in any missing data with total usage averaged over missing intervals, and in that way Download My Data and Energy Manager may have slightly different totals. Estimated or missing intervals do not impact your bill. Total usage for billing is calculated based on the difference between the meter reading at the beginning of the bill cycle and a meter reading at the end of the bill cycle.
Receive alerts and updates about your electricity usage and estimated cost - all made possible by your smart meter! You can choose to receive any of the following alerts:
- Usage Update: Receive weekly updates with your usage, estimated cost, and daily averages for the current billing period.
- Usage Amount Exceeded: Set a monthly electricity usage or dollar amount, and we'll notify you if/when you exceed that amount.
- Usage Change: We'll notify you of big changes to your daily usage. Specifically, if your daily usage is 50% higher or 75% lower than your past 30-day average usage for three days in a row.
Enroll in Usage Alerts
Helping you understand
Many of our customers find that by looking at their usage by hour or day, they are better able to connect activities to usage. Consider the following when looking at your data:
- Additional people in the home (children out of school, guests)
- Heat pump hot water heater / heat pump
- Outdoor hot tub
- New appliance / seasonal appliance
- Pumping wet basement
- Electric portable space heaters
- Heat tapes on pipes, roofs and walkways
- Auto engine block heaters - diesel trucks
- Home construction
- Heaters in barns for animals
"We have a heat pump to supplement our other heating sources. During the very cold weather this winter, we shut off the heat pump as it is not efficient with the below zero temperatures. Last weekend (Sunday), my husband turned it back on in our family room and he was supposed to shut it off later that night. Well, that didn't happen! On Wednesday, I received a Usage Alert. "We've detected a change in usage for your account. Your usage from 4/16 to 4/18 has been 38 kwhs, 61 kwhs, and 29 kwhs. This is much higher than your recent usage per day." The first thing that crossed my mind was did my husband forget to shut off the heat pump... Oh yes he forgot!! With a quick phone call to confirm my suspicion, he immediately shut off the heat pump and we instantly got our usage back under control within normal range. I appreciate having Usage Alerts and Energy Manager as tools to help us monitor our use and to be alerted when there are fluctuations so we can take action." Ann B., Oakland