New York Transco Transmission Projects
Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation d/b/a National Grid (“National Grid”), New York State
Electric & Gas Corporation (“NYSEG”), the New York Power Authority (“NYPA”), Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (“Con Edison”), Orange & Rockland Utilities, Inc. (“O&R”),
and Central Hudson Gas and Electric Corporation (“Central Hudson”) – collectively the New York Transmission Owners (NYTOs) – have filed initial materials with the New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) pursuant to Article VII of the Public Service Law of the State of New York and the Commission’s April 22, 2013 order issued in Case 12-T-0502: Proceeding on Motion to Examine Alternating Current Transmission Upgrades.
The project that is being proposed by the NYTOs will address persistent congestion on portions of the New York State electric transmission system.
The NYTO project is comprised of:
- Constructing an approximately 156-mile 345-kilovolt (kV) overhead electric transmission line from National Grid’s Edic Substation (Oneida County) to Con Edison’s Pleasant Valley Substation (Dutchess County).
- Constructing an approximately 57-mile 345-kV overhead electric transmission line from NYSEG’s Oakdale Substation (Broome County) to NYSEG/NYPA’s Fraser Substation (Delaware County).
- Adding two new switchable series capacitor banks, one adjacent to NYPA’s Marcy Substation (Oneida County) and one adjacent to the Fraser Substation.
- Adding another new switchable series capacitor bank adjacent to the Fraser Substation and reconductoring a 21.8 mile portion of an existing overhead 345-kV electric transmission line from Fraser Substation to NYSEG’s Coopers Corners Substation (Sullivan County).
- Constructing an 11.8-mile segment of the approximately 27.4-mile 345-kV overhead electric transmission line between Con Edison’s Ramapo Substation (Rockland County) and Central Hudson’s Rock Tavern Substation (Orange County).
(more information on the projects)
NYPA website (more information on the Marcy South Series Compensation project)
New York Transco website (more information including the NYTO application filed
with the PSC)
Oakdale-Fraser project sheet
Copies of the Article VII application will soon be available for public inspection during normal business hours at public libraries in the project areas. The application is also available at the Department of Public Service, Office of Central Files, 14th Floor, Three Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12223 and at www.dps.ny.gov (search by case number 12-T-0502).