|If you or someone you know is facing an energy emergency, assistance is available to qualified customers through HEAP and EAP
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federal grant program that assists income eligible households in paying for energy costs, repairs and weatherization.
Income eligible customers may receive:
- One regular HEAP grant per heating season.
- Emergency HEAP grants.
- The number of grants vary per heating season depending on the availability of funds.
Availability of funds:
- 2017 Emergency HEAP is open until March 31, 2017.
- The 2016-2017 regular HEAP program is closed.
How to apply:
- To apply for Emergency HEAP, contact your local Department of Social Services, or call 1.800.342.3009. Please visit otda.ny.gov/main/programs/heap for more information on how to apply.
- You can also visit mybenefits.ny.gov to check eligibility guidelines for a wide range of programs.
Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps eligible customers gain control of their energy bills, pay off past due amounts owed and stay current with future bills. The program has two levels of assistance:
- EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit
- EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness
EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit
- Eligibility and enrollment:
- If your HEAP grant has been applied to your active NYSEG account, an EAP monthly bill credit is automatically applied to your NYSEG bill. It will display as a line item under your electricity and/or natural gas delivery charges on your NYSEG bill. Refer to the yellow highlighted information in the bill illustrated below.
- If your HEAP grant has been supplied to a fuel vendor other than NYSEG, to receive this monthly bill credit on your NYSEG bill, it's important you provide us with a copy of your HEAP grant award letter (otherwise we will not know you are eligible and you will not receive the credit). Mail it to Energy Assistance Program, NYSEG, P.O. Box 5220, Binghamton, NY 13902-5220, or fax it to 1.800.325.9920.
- In addition to receiving the monthly bill credit, you'll be referred to EmPower New York for free energy services which may include:
- Installation of high-efficiency lighting
- Replacement of old, inefficient appliances
- Sidewall insulation
- Energy saving tips
- To remain eligible for the EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit:
- You must apply for and receive a HEAP grant each year.
- EAP monthly bill credits will continue only as long as a HEAP grant has been applied every 12 months to your active NYSEG account (or to your active account with another fuel vendor and you provide us with a copy of your HEAP grant award letter).
EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness
- Eligibility and enrollment:
- You're automatically enrolled in EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness when:
- You receive the EAP Monthly Credit Benefit;
- Have a past due NYSEG account balance between $240 and $1,500; and
- Have not previously been enrolled in the EAP Limited Benefit and terminated for non-payment.
- Your past due NYSEG account balance is placed on hold; and
- A credit is applied to the amount on hold each time you pay your regular NYSEG bill.
The credit applied is equal to 1/24th of the amount on hold. It will display in the Arrears Forgiveness section on page 1 of your NYSEG bill. Refer to the yellow highlighted information in the bill illustration below.