Company continues to expand field resources to address remaining incidents
BINGHAMTON, NY — December 12, 2021, 5:30 p.m. — New York State Electric & Gas’s (NYSEG) restoration efforts continue to progress, and the company continues to add additional field resources to support restoration work. The company announced that they expect to restore 95% of customers impacted by the wind that occurred yesterday by 11:30pm tonight (12/12) for its Lockport division and 11:30 p.m. Monday (12/13) for its Lancaster division. The remaining customers without power will restored Monday (12/13) in the Lockport division and Tuesday (12/14) in the Lancaster division. Customers should look for their account specific estimated time of restoration (ETR) to learn when they will be restored. Currently, of the 66,045 total impacted customers, approximately 4,094 customers remain without power in the company’s Lancaster (3,937) and Lockport (157) divisions, which includes Erie, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua and Niagara counties.
Earlier today, the company outlined the day’s work objectives which included a full damage assessment, continuing to clear roads from downed wires, trees and other hazards, and performing restoration work. The company also added additional crews to its restoration effort today and has more than 2,000 field personnel engaged in storm response efforts statewide, with more than 420 of those resources stationed in the Western New York area. NYSEG’s damage assessors have reported roughly 161 downed wires and 33 broken poles.
The company continues to coordinate its response effort with state and local emergency management officials to clear roads of fallen trees and hazards and restore power service to critical facilities, such as hospitals and nursing homes.
NYSEG will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the general public on the company’s social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following reminders to prepare for the storm and stay safe if power outages do occur.
- Sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates automatically by phone, text, or e-mail as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. Customers can sign up for outage alerts by visiting here for NYSEG.
- Customers can use the new NYSEG mobile app to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “NYSEG.” The application is free to download.
Stay Away From Downed Wires:
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities:
The companies’ first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. NYSEG customers are asked to call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed wires.
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com and and on the companies’ social media pages:
- Facebook: @NYSEandG
- Twitter: @NYSEandG
NYSEG is a subsidiary of AVANGRID Inc.
# # #
About NYSEG: New York State Electric & Gas Corporation (NYSEG) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1852, NYSEG operates approximately 35,000 miles of electric distribution lines and 4,500 miles of electric transmission lines across more than 40% of upstate New York. It also operates more than 8,150 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 20 miles of gas transmission pipelines. It serves approximately 894,000 electricity customers and 266,000 natural gas customers. For more information, visit nyseg.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.