Windy conditions persist as crews work on restoration
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. — March 15, 2023, 3:00 p.m. — New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG) is making significant progress after snowfall associated with Winter Storm Sage impacted the region yesterday, followed by gusty winds overnight and into this morning. Currently, the Company has fewer than 8,000 outages across its services areas, with approximately 6,600 customers in its Mechanicville division still without power. The Mechanicville division includes areas of Columbia, Rensselaer, Saratoga, and Washington counties. NYSEG is updating restoration times at the customer level as damage is assessed in its heaviest hit areas.
Impacts from the storm include downed trees and transmission lines, which has caused damage and delayed travel for crews. Every outage has been assigned to the 741 additional resources who have been added to assist in restoration. Crews were pre-staged in the region this week in anticipation of the storm, and resources have been moved throughout the week to the areas of greatest need.
The Company is urging customers to limit travel unless necessary and avoid areas with downed trees. The company’s storm response team is fully engaged and crews will continue to work throughout the week, until every customer is restored. The Company is coordinating response efforts with state and local emergency management authorities.
Shelter and warming locations have been opened for those without power:
• Canaan, NY: Canaan Fire House; 2126 Route 295, Canaan, NY. Open until not needed.
• Nassau, NY: Nassau Fire Department; 26 Chatham St., Nassau.
• New Lebanon, NY: LVPA; 523 U.S. Route 20, New Lebanon, NY. Call 518-505-1535 for access.
• Wilton, NY: Gavin Park. 10 Lewis Rd., Wilton, NY. Open until further notice.
• Wilton, NY: Wilton Senior Center; 18 Traver Rd., Wilton, NY. Open until further notice.
Dry ice and bottled water are available at the following locations:
• Canaan, NY: Canaan Protective Fire District. 2126 Route 295, Canaan, NY. Noon to 6 p.m.
• Chatham, NY: Chatham Fire Station. 2 Hoffman St., Chatham, NY 12037. Open until 8 p.m.
• Ghent, NY: Ghent Fire Department. 2230 Route 66, Ghent, NY.
• West Hebron, NY: Hebron Town Meeting Hall. 3165 County Route 30, West Hebron, NY.
NYSEG will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the general public on the company’s social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following reminders to stay safe if power outages do occur.
- Customers can sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates automatically by phone, text, or email as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. Customers can sign up for Outage Alerts by visiting nyseg.com/alerts.
- Customers can use the free NYSEG Mobile App to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “NYSEG.” The application is free to download.
Stay Away From Downed Wires
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, use our Mobile App, visit nyseg.com or contact NYSEG at 800.572.1131.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities
The company’s first priority is to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. NYSEG customers are asked to call 800.572.1131 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at nyseg.com and on the company’s social media pages:
• Facebook: @NYSEandG
• Twitter: @NYSEandG
About NYSEG: New York State Electric & Gas Corporation (NYSEG) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1852, NYSEG operates approximately 35,000 miles of electric distribution lines and 4,500 miles of electric transmission lines across more than 40% of upstate New York. It also operates more than 8,150 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 20 miles of gas transmission pipelines. It serves approximately 894,000 electricity customers and 266,000 natural gas customers. For more information, visit www.nyseg.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs more than 7,000 people and has been recognized by JUST Capital in 2021, 2022 and 2023 as one of the JUST 100 companies – a ranking of America’s best corporate citizens. In 2023, AVANGRID ranked first within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2022 for the fourth consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. AVANGRID is a member of the group of companies controlled by Iberdrola, S.A. For more information, visit avangrid.com.