Crews work to restore customers impacted by today’s winter weather
Binghamton, N.Y. — February 7, 2020, 5:30 p.m. EST — NYSEG, an AVANGRID company, is working to restore power to customers impacted by today’s winter weather. At this time approximately 8,000 NYSEG customers in the Mechanicville Division, which includes Columbia, Rensselaer, Saratoga and Washington counties, are affected. Crews will continue to work until every customer is restored.
Much of the damage experienced is a result of heavy snow, ice and wind that has brought down trees and limbs, causing damage to overhead power lines and other electrical equipment. Based on the weather impacts, the company’s storm team shifted additional resources and equipment into the area for response efforts. They are also coordinating response efforts with state and local emergency management officials.
NYSEG will provide updates throughout the event to the general public on their website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also reminds customers of the following safety tips to prepare for the storm and stay safe if power outages do occur.
Stay Away From Downed Wires
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities
The company’s first priority is to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. NYSEG customers are asked to call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @NYSEandG
- Twitter: @NYSEandG