What is a smart meter?
A smart meter is an electric meter and/or natural gas meter module with two-way communications between the meter and our systems. The smart meter transmits usage and meter status information to us.
What can I expect with a smart meter?
What does this mean for you? Automated readings and fewer estimates. And with detailed hourly usage information, you can make informed decisions to get the most out of every energy dollar.
- Smart meters automatically transmit usage data, so the need for bill estimates, onsite visits and customer meter reads is greatly reduced.
- Smart meters help us pinpoint and respond to outages more quickly.
- Moving is easier with faster access to your electricity service when you need it and stopping service when you don’t.
- Our online Energy Manager tool will connect you with your energy use and customized recommendations to save energy. After your smart meter is installed, you’ll have access to detailed energy use down to the hour to better understand how you’re using energy in your home or business.
- EnergyTrack will send a monthly snapshot of your electricity use right to your inbox so you can make smart adjustments. Update your email address in My Account to make sure you don’t miss out!
- Usage Alerts will be available in the future. After signing up, similar to our Meter Read and Outage Alerts, you will be able to receive updates about your energy use, helping you manage changes and plan for monthly bills.
- Knowledge is power. Detailed usage information and recommendations give you control over your monthly bills with ways to use less energy and potentially save money.
- Future smart pricing options will let you shift electricity usage to lower-cost times of day, so you may be able to lower your bills.
- Select from rebates and promotions on energy-saving products or explore renewable options.