Look Up...Look Out!
Be careful around overhead power lines. When working around your house, remember that things such as aluminum siding, gutters and ladders conduct electricity. If any of these items touch an overhead power line, the results could be deadly.
While planning a project, contractors and customers should carefully check the work area for any potential hazards, including overhead power lines.
Electrical safety is important!
We want you and your family to be safe. Follow these safety tips when dealing with electricity and power lines:
- It is extremely dangerous to touch a power line, whether it is overhead or has fallen on the ground. Fallen power lines are extremely dangerous. Call 911 and NYSEG at 800.572.1131.
- Do not touch a downed line or anyone in contact with the line. Always assume a downed line is live.
- Beware of a downed power line touching a vehicle. Stay clear of the vehicle and the power line. If a power line touches your vehicle while you are inside, remain calm. If you can do so safely, stay inside the vehicle until emergency assistance arrives or warn others to stay away from the vehicle and have them call NYSEG.
- Be careful around overhead power lines. When working around your house, remember that things such as aluminum siding, gutters and ladders conduct electricity. If any of these items touch an overhead power line, the results could be deadly.
- While planning a project, contractors and customers should carefully check the work area for any potential hazards, including overhead power lines.
- Leave cutting and trimming of trees near power lines to professionals. A tree or limb that comes in contact with a power line could be deadly. For more information visit our Tree Care web page.
- Have a licensed electrician add weatherproof covers and Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI's) on outdoor electrical outlets to protect yourself against electrical shock.
- GFCI's should be used in areas such as bathrooms, sinks and pool areas where water has the potential of coming in contact with electricity.
- Always check to ensure that your outlet and switch covers are in good condition. If you are able to see exposed wiring, replace the switch or the cover.
- Always remember to use safety caps on unused outlets. Small children and pet can suffer electrical contact from these sources.
- Small children and pets should never be left unattended around electrical outlets, switches, extension cords. Safety plugs can be purchased at most hardware stores to keep your children and pets safe from electrical exposure.
- Water and electricity NEVER mix. Keep power tools and extension cords away from water, including rain, wet ground, swimming pools, sprinklers and garden hoses.
- Inspect extension and power cords for wear and tear. Replace any cord you find that is frayed or cracked.
- NEVER overload an extension or power cord! If the cord is warm or hot to the touch, there is a good chance that it is overloaded and could cause an electrical fire if not corrected.
For additional information on electrical safety, please visit www.esfi.org.