Typical Natural Gas Bill Data for Residential NYSEG Customers
Interested in what comprises a typical residential natural gas bill? The graphs below compare average monthly natural gas bills over the last 10 years for residential customers who purchased their natural gas supply from NYSEG.
Monthly Residential Natural Gas Costs
Based on average use of 1,000 therms per year
The data in the above chart is based on average usage for a typical customer. Individual bills will vary depending on specific usage.
Some additional information about the average cost data
Delivery charge: What you pay NYSEG to transport natural gas to your home through our pipes.
- The delivery charge includes Revenue Decoupling Mechanism (RDM) and Transition charges. The RDM is a charge or credit on your bill that reflects the difference between forecast and actual delivery service revenues by service classification to encourage the promotion of energy efficiency and renewable technologies. The Transition Charge reflects the costs of making the natural gas industry more competitive and may be a charge or credit.
Supply charge: What you pay for the natural gas purchased on your behalf by NYSEG.
- NYSEG makes no profit on your natural gas supply costs. The supply charge also includes a Merchant Function Charge (MFC), which represents the administrative costs for NYSEG to obtain natural gas supply on your behalf.
Surcharges: What you pay in state mandated charges, including:
- Taxes: Includes the collection of Gross Receipts Tax (GRT) imposed by New York State and/or some local municipalities, where applicable.
- System Benefits Charge (SBC), which is used to fund initiatives focused on reducing natural gas use in New York.
Want to learn more?
View a 10-year comparison for NYSEG residential electricity customers here.
View a sample bill.
- What is a supplier other than NYSEG, an energy services company or an ESCO?
- What if I change my mind about my electricity supplier pricing option?
- If I have an ESCO provide my electricity supply, whom do I call if I have problems with electricity service?
- I would like to purchase my electricity supply at a fixed price. How do I do so?
- What options do I have to purchase my electricity supply?