HEAP and EAP Programs
If you or someone you know is having trouble managing energy bills, assistance is available to qualified customers through HEAP and EAP
The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federal grant program that assists income eligible households in paying for energy costs, repairs and weatherization.
Income eligible customers may receive:
- One regular HEAP grant per heating season.
- Emergency HEAP grants.
- The number of grants vary per heating season depending on the availability of funds.
Availability of funds
Regular HEAP is closed for the 2021-2022 heating season.
Emergency HEAP is scheduled to close August 31, or until funding is exhausted, whichever occurs first.
A second Emergency HEAP benefit is available beginning on May 2, 2022.
How to apply
- Apply through the Department of Social Services at otda.ny.gov/main/programs/heap or mybenefits.ny.gov.
Energy Assistance Program (EAP)
Our Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps eligible customers gain control of their energy bills, pay off past due amounts owed and stay current with future bills. The program has two levels of assistance:
- EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit
- EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness
EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit
Eligibility and enrollment:
- If your HEAP grant has been applied to your active NYSEG account, an EAP monthly bill credit is automatically applied to your NYSEG bill. It will display as a line item under your electricity and/or natural gas delivery charges on your NYSEG bill. Refer to the yellow highlighted information in the bill illustrated below.
We've expanded our eligibility requirements and you may qualify for EAP!
- If you receive any of the following assistance, please submit proof of participation for enrollment in EAP:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Pension and Survivor Benefits
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Need Families (TANF)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Lands Head Start
- Lifeline Telephone Service Program
- HEAP grant applied to a fuel vendor other than NYSEG
To apply for EAP, please download our Energy Assistance Program Application. You can submit your completed EAP Application and proof of participation documentation by:
- Email: NYSEGEnergyAssistanceProgramMailbox@nyseg.com
- Mail: Energy Assistance Program, NYSEG, P.O. Box 5220, Binghamton, NY 13902-5220
- Fax: 800.325.9920
- In addition to receiving the monthly bill credit, you'll be referred to EmPower New York for free energy services which may include:
- Installation of high-efficiency lighting
- Replacement of old, inefficient appliances
- Sidewall insulation
- Energy saving tips
- To remain eligible for the EAP Monthly Bill Credit Benefit:
- You must apply for and receive a HEAP grant each year. EAP monthly bill credits will continue automatically as long as a HEAP grant has been applied every 12 months to your active NYSEG account.
- You submit documentation annually to qualify. This may include your HEAP grant award letter with another fuel vendor or proof of participation in the assistance programs mentioned above.
EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness
Eligibility and enrollment:
- You're automatically enrolled in EAP Limited Benefit Arrears Forgiveness when:
- You receive the EAP Monthly Credit Benefit;
- Have a past due NYSEG account balance between $240 and $1,500; and
- Have not previously been enrolled in the EAP Limited Benefit and terminated for non-payment.
- Your past due NYSEG account balance is placed on hold; and
- A credit is applied to the amount on hold each time you pay your regular NYSEG bill.
The credit applied is equal to 1/24th of the amount on hold. It will display in the Arrears Forgiveness section on page 1 of your NYSEG bill. Refer to the yellow highlighted information in the bill illustration below.
Quick links to energy assistance
- Apply for HEAP at otda.ny.gov/main/programs/heap
- Download our Energy Assistance Program (EAP) Application
- Enroll in Budget Billing
2021-2022 Income Eligibility Guidelines for HEAP
|Household Size||Monthly Income (Gross)|
|Each additional person||Add $568|