Carbon Monoxide

If you suspect a carbon monoxide problem, go outside!

Then, call NYSEG at 800.572.1121.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in a matter of minutes, so if you suspect a problem, go outside immediately.

Symptoms of Exposure

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to serious illness and even death.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by small gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns, and natural gas ranges, or by burning charcoal, oil, wood or propane. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.

Precautions and Safety Measures

Protection is as easy as having your heating system, chimney, flues and vents checked once a year by a professional.

Take protection to the next level by installing a carbon monoxide alarm.

Do’s and Don’ts

For more tips on carbon monoxide safety, please download our consumer reference: Carbon Monoxide Prevention

Do You Have a CO Detector? It’s the Law

Effective February 22, 2010 all residences, both new and existing, must have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector. Amanda’s Law - named for a Buffalo teenager whose life was ended due to a CO leak - applies to all one-family and two-family homes, condominiums or cooperatives, and multiple dwellings where there are heating and cooking appliances, which could emit the deadly gas. CO detectors must be hard-wired in new homes. Battery-operated CO detectors are required in existing homes.


Click here to listen to our important safety message. (Opens with Windows Media Player)

FAQs

  • What should I do to prepare for a storm?  
  • Who do I contact if I need to dig on my property?  
  • How can I stay safe around electricity?  
  • How can I detect a natural gas leak?  
  • What should I do if I suspect a gas leak?