Company stages crews in advance of storm, significant rainfall expected
BINGHAMTON, NY — July 8, 2021, 3 p.m. — NYSEG is preparing for heavy rains and wind associated with Tropical Storm Elsa, which is expected to move into the region on Friday morning. As a result of the weather, customers may experience service disruptions in the company’s Brewster division (Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess counties).
While the current consensus among forecasts show the storm following an easterly path, avoiding the NYSEG service area, the company is making preparations in the event that the storm changes course. Regardless, customers in the region should expect up to two-and-a-half inches of rain on Friday and if Elsa does move towards the service area, 30-35 mph wind gusts. Softened soil conditions as a result of the rain have the potential to bring down trees and limbs, causing damage to overhead power lines and other electrical equipment.
The company is urging customers to monitor local forecasts and prepare for the possibility of service interruptions. The company’s storm response team has been monitoring weather forecasts, planning and readying crews and equipment. The company is also coordinating preparations with state and local emergency management authorities and is prepared to provide crews to local municipalities should the need arise.
NYSEG will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the general public on the company’s website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following reminders to stay safe during a power outage.
- Use our new mobile app to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “NYSEG.” The application is free to download.
- Sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates automatically by phone, text, or email as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. Customers can sign up for outage alerts by visiting here for NYSEG
Stay Away From Downed Wires
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 800.572.1131.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
Power Restoration Priorities
The company’s first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. NYSEG customers are asked to call 800.572.1131 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com and on the company’s social media pages:
• Facebook: @NYSEandG
• Twitter: @NYSEandG
About NYSEG: New York State Electric & Gas Corporation (NYSEG) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1852, NYSEG operates approximately 35,000 miles of electric distribution lines and 4,500 miles of electric transmission lines across more than 40% of upstate New York. It also operates more than 8,150 miles of natural gas distribution pipelines and 20 miles of gas transmission pipelines. It serves approximately 894,000 electricity customers and 266,000 natural gas customers. For more information, visit nyseg.com.
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with approximately $36 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. With headquarters in Orange, Connecticut, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,600 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2019 and 2020 by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.