Our Company 
news release

NYSEG and RG&E: Asks Customers to Guard Against Carbon Monoxide – It Can Be Deadly 

Rochester, NY – NYSEG and RG&E, subsidiaries of Iberdrola USA, urge customers to:

• Have a professional check heating systems, chimneys, flues and vents once a year.
• Use carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. (New York state law now requires CO detectors in most residences.)
• Read, understand and follow manufacturer’s instructions when using supplemental heat sources such as space heaters or fireplaces.
• Never use an emergency generator indoors, including the garage.
• Never use a natural gas stove, oven or charcoal grill as an indoor heat source.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control. Prolonged exposure to CO can lead to serious illness and even death.

CO is produced by incomplete combustion from boilers, furnaces, water heaters, gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns and natural gas ranges. The incomplete combustion of charcoal, oil, wood or propane also can produce CO, which may reach dangerous levels in enclosed or partially-enclosed spaces and poorly ventilated areas.

Anyone who suspects a carbon monoxide problem should get up, get out and call 911. NYSEG customers may also call 1.800.572.1121; RG&E customers may call 1.800.743.1702. 
 
 
For more information about carbon monoxide, visit:
http://bit.ly/npExGA (NYSEG)
http://bit.ly/hBwaQa (RG&E

For more information on generator safety, read “Emergency Generator Safety” at:
http://bit.ly/pSulQw (NYSEG)
http://bit.ly/tQtfVw (RG&E)