NYSEG Crews Working to Make Final Restorations - 5:30 pm
Company working to restore power in most challenging areas
BINGHAMTON, New York — August 9, 2020, 5:30 p.m. — NYSEG, a subsidiary of AVANGRID Inc., continues to work to make final restorations to customers in Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester counties impacted by Tropical Storm Isaias. Currently, approximately 1,500 customers impacted by the storm are without power. While the company has exceeded its target of 95% restoration by 11 p.m. tonight, the company reiterated its commitment to continue working until every customer is restored.
Earlier today, the company released its daily work plan, which is designed to address every remaining outage on the system. While additional details of the plan can be found here, the company cautioned that small pockets of restoration work will likely continue into Monday due to the severity of the damage, particularly in areas where complete rebuilds are necessary.
NYSEG will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the public on the company’s website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following reminders to stay safe during the outage.
- Customers can use the company’s website or the new NYSEG mobile app to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “NYSEG.” The application is free to download. They may also visit NYSEG.com to check the company’s website for additional information.
Stay Away From Downed Wires:
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption:
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @NYSEandG
- Twitter: @NYSEandG
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.
- Michael Jamison