Granville Remediation Project
Cleanup efforts are underway to address any environmental impacts caused from the former Granville Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site. The site is located on North Street, approximately 0.25 miles north of the intersection of Main Street and North Street, in Granville, NY. The cleanup activities will be performed by New York State Electric and Gas Corporation (NYSEG) with oversight provided by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC).
The work area is approximately 10 acres in size and is composed of three adjoining parcels owned by NYSEG. The southern end of the site is wooded, while the northern half transitions from a wooded area into an open field containing the NYSEG Granville Operations Center. A portion of the baseball fields and Mettawee River to the west will also be part of the work area.
Remediation efforts for the site will achieve cleanup levels that protect public health and the environment and include the following key components:
- Removal of contaminated soil and sediment on the Little League property, in the Mettawee River and on the former MGP Site, and surrounding areas that are affected
- Backfilling area with new clean soil
- Installation of recovery wells to collect and remove contamination
- Development of a Site Management Plan for the long-term maintenance of the site
- Implementing institutional controls in the form of environmental easements
We are committed to responsible management of this site and a clean environment for generations of New Yorkers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Orders, Studies, and Reports:
- Coming soon
- Samantha Marone, Manager - Public Outreach
888.848.3697 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tracy Blazicek, Manager - Programs/Projects, Environmental Remediation
607.237.5325 or email@example.com
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation