NYSEG Makes Significant Progress, Nears Complete Restoration - 10 pm
Crews working as quickly and safely as possible to finish the job
BINGHAMTON, New York — August 9, 2020, 10:00 p.m. — NYSEG, a subsidiary of AVANGRID Inc., announced that crews made significant progress today in their efforts to restore customers in Dutchess, Putnam and Westchester counties that were impacted by Tropical Storm Isaias. Currently, approximately 250 customers impacted by the storm are without power. While earlier today the company exceeded its target of 95% restoration by 11 p.m. tonight, the company’s crews are working as quickly and safely as possible to finish job and achieve total restoration.
Building on the progress made today, crews will continue to work overnight and towards complete restoration on Monday morning. Once every customer is restored, the company will continue to fix remaining damage that occurred but did not affect customers or the reliability of service. That will then be followed by a full system sweep of all affected circuits to look for damage or issues that may have been missed but that could cause service disruptions in the future. The system will then be returned to normal conditions. The company encourages any customers who may be without power after restorations are complete to report those outages so that NYSEG personnel can investigate the situation.NYSEG will continue to provide updates throughout the event to the public on the company’s website and social media channels (Facebook and Twitter). The company also offers customers the following reminders to stay safe during the outage.
- Customers can use the company’s website or the new NYSEG mobile app to report and check the status of outages. To download the application, customers should search “AVANGRID” in the Apple or Android app stores and select “NYSEG.” The application is free to download. They may also visit NYSEG.com to check the company’s website for additional information.
Stay Away From Downed Wires:
- Stay at least 30 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption:
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com and on the company’s social media pages:
- Facebook: @NYSEandG
- Twitter: @NYSEandG
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.
- Michael Jamison