In The Schools
For Teachers and Community Groups
We're helping today's young people prepare for tomorrow. Our website assists educators with additional resources to supplement classroom instruction. Looking for educational materials on energy-related topics? Check us out!
Join the Power Adventure Team!
Explore the Electric Universe. With information for everyone, you can find a section tailored to many ages and interests. Learn about electricity and safety at home or in school, gain wise energy use tips while making good choices for the environment and play games!
Explore the Energy Underground and learn more about natural gas. Whether you like playing games, doing activities or learning about inventions, this is the site for you!
Catch the Wind
Want to know more about the power of wind energy or other energy sources? Here are some links to check out:
- Learn more about NYSEG's partnership with Community Energy to offer New Wind Energy.
- Here's some great energy information for kids.
- Here's information on renewable energy.
- Here is some information about fossil fuels (coal, oil and natural gas).
Teach your students to be safe around electricity. How? Download our safety poster. Make as many copies as you need.
Electricity & Natural Gas Safety Posters
There's a full color version for you to display, or a black and white version for children to color.
- Watts the Wizard says: Don't be shocked. Be safe around electricity.
- Watts the Wizard says: Never fly kites near power lines ... and never climb utility poles or trees that are near power lines.
- Never climb near power lines.
- Grrrr Bear says: Play it safe around natural gas
- Coloring Books
The National Severe Storms Laboratory has safety information, photos, stories, teacher tools and a kid's page.
Meet Nosey! Part of a new natural gas safety kit available for your classroom use.
Developed in collaboration with the Northeast Gas Association, the “Being Nosey Can Keep You Safe” program provides all of the resources necessary to teach natural gas safety. “Nosey,” a fun and memorable character, helps guide teachers and students as they learn about being safe around natural gas. The educational kits, designed for grades 1 through 5, contain teacher’s guides, posters, take-home pamphlets, peel and smell stickers, and a link to a 60-second video. Each kit contains enough supplies for ten classrooms of 30 students each! NYSEG is offering these kits to schools within the NYSEG service area at no charge – please send your request by clicking on the link above and completing the online form.