NYSEG Monitoring Storm, Urges Customers to Be Prepared - 4 p.m.
Snow and Gusty Winds Could Cause Service Interruptions
Brewster, New York - March 20, 2018 (4 p.m. EDT) NYSEG, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), is monitoring weather forecasts in advance of a storm that's expected to bring snow and gusty winds Wednesday throughout Thursday across the state specifically in the company's Brewster and Liberty divisions.
The company urges customers to monitor forecasts and prepare for the possibility of service interruptions.
The company's storm readiness teams have been tracking the storm, holding planning meetings, readying crews and equipment, mobilizing employees for storm duty, and have nearly 400 additional contractor and mutual assistance tree and line crew personnel ready to help restore service if necessary in the areas predicted to experience the most significant impact including Westchester, Putnam, Sullivan, and Dutchess counties. The company is coordinating preparations with state and local emergency management authorities.
Current forecasts call for snow and wind to begin Wednesday morning and continuing through the day, with gusts potentially reaching 35 mph. The snow and gusty winds have the potential to bring down trees and limbs, causing damage to overhead power lines and other electrical equipment.
NYSEG urges customers to stay far away from downed power lines. Even lines that appear dead can be dangerous. Report downed lines and other hazardous situations to NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131. The company will provide updates to the general public on our web and social media sites.
NYSEG offers customers the following tips to prepare for the storm and stay safe and comfortable if power outages do occur.
Before a storm strikes:
- Sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates automatically by phone, text, or e-mail as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. This information is also available online at NYSEG Outage alert.
- Keep battery-operated flashlights and radios on hand, along with supplies of drinking water and non-perishable foods.
- Make sure that smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices are fully charged.
- Fill your car's fuel tank.
Power Restoration Priorities
NYSEG's first priorities are to respond to reports of downed power lines to keep the public safe. NYSEG customers are asked to call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed wires. Once this vital public safety work is complete, the company will:
- Assess the damage to the electricity delivery system.
- Develop a detailed restoration plan.
- Make repairs as quickly as possible.
For additional information, including storm preparation tips, storm safety information, generator safety information, restoration priorities and emergency resources, visit Outage Central at NYSEG.com and on the company's Facebook and Twitter pages.