NYSEG Restoration Efforts Underway as Severe Thunderstorms Disrupt Power to Thousands
Customers Urged To Avoid Downed Lines and Report Outages
BINGHAMTON, NEW YORK — August 18, 2019, 9:00 pm — NYSEG, a subsidiary of AVANGRID Inc., continues restoration efforts following an evening of severe thunderstorms, lightning and intense wind gusts across the state. As of 9 p.m., there are more than 16,000 customers without power. The hardest hit areas include the company’s Binghamton, Elmira, Geneva, Liberty, Mechanicville and Oneonta divisions (particularly Saratoga, Broome, Tioga, Sullivan, Ontario, Otsego, Chemung, and Delaware counties). While storms are forecasted to continue throughout the night, crews and contractors will continue to work on restoration efforts until all customers are restored.
NYSEG encourages customers to sign up for Outage Alerts to receive updates throughout the event automatically by phone, text, or email as the company updates the status of the restoration process in their area. This information is also available online.
NYSEG offers customers the following reminders:
Stay Away From Downed Wires
- Stay at least 20 feet from a downed power line.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride.
- NYSEG customers should call 1.800.572.1131 to report downed power lines or other hazardous situations.
During a Power Interruption
- Contact neighbors to see if their power is off. A loss of power may be the result of a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker.
- To report a power interruption, contact NYSEG at 1.800.572.1131.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible. Most food will last 24 hours if you minimize the opening of refrigerator and freezer doors.
585.484.5361 (business hours)
203.997.7906 (mobile phone)